The OQF is an instrument for describing, comparing and classifying qualifications, delivered and awarded in Oman, from all education and training sectors. Based on one set of generic Level Descriptors, which describe the expected outcomes at each of its ten levels, the OQF provides a reference point for the qualifications in Oman, for the comparison between Omani Qualifications and Foreign or International Qualifications and for the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
• Helps plan their learning
• Clarifies the routes for progression
• Increases flexibility and access to qualifications from one sector to another
• Credit transfer can help to avoid duplicating learning that has already been achieved
• Helps the mobility of learners through the international recognition of Omani qualifications
• Helps understand the qualifications offered in Oman
• Provides a method for describing the learning an individual has achieved; thus, helping recruitment
• Encourages the development of qualifications which meet the needs of the labour market
• Clarifies the relationship between national qualifications and foreign and international qualifications
- • Helps develop mutual trust within the national qualifications system
• Provides a common reference point for all qualifications
• Supports the international recognition of Omani qualifications
• Supports the development of new qualifications
• Encourages collaboration between education and training providers within different sectors and with employers
The OQF applies to all qualifications from all public and private sectors of education and training in Oman.
Listing refers to the evaluation, carried out by OQF External Reviewers, of all the units, modules or courses of a programme, leading to a qualification, to determine the OQF Level and OQF Credit Value.
The OQF Criteria for Listing require that the Awarding Body:
• Owns the programme that leads to the qualification
• Is established either by Royal Decree or has an Institutional License
The programme must have:
• A Programme License from the relevant Licensing Body, where required
• Quality assurance measures in place
• Clear Learning Outcomes, which are subject to quality assured summative assessment
Yes, they will be Listed on the OQF.
Yes, all foreign and international qualifications that are delivered and awarded in Oman will be Aligned to the OQF.